Welcome to Pac12 Pigskin!Hello and welcome to Pac12 Pigskin, an internet forum focused on Pac 12 football, and pretty much any other topic you'd like to discuss. We're starting small, but hope to grow quickly.
Our goal is to create a community that behaves much like a group of poorly behaved friends at the local sports bar. We want you to speak your mind. We want you to get loud. We want you to call us fucking idiots. But at the end of the day we want you to be having fun.
I've been a member of various football forums for the better part of 2 decades. Without fail, over moderation and unfair moderation are by far the fastest ways to kill a board. Our belief here is that, for the most part, conflict is good and the community will moderate itself. That said, we do have a few rules. Our goal is to enforce them as little as possible.
How moderation works:
- Doxxing: Our only big rule. Doxxing is strictly forbidden. Doxxing is the act of "outing" a poster. Revealing personal information like their name, address, phone number, place of work, etc. This is the one and only rule that will get you immediately banned. Doxxing isn't just a rule here, it is a federal offense.
- Swear all you like. We aren't protecting anybody's sensibilities or feelings here. Call me an asshole. Call a player a bum. It's all good. Slurs are also not going to be moderated against unless they get completely out of hand. If it starts to feel like you're using our site to recruit for a skinhead rally that's when we'll talk about stepping in.
- Keep it on the board. Anybody who posts here is fair game, but families, wives, husbands, children are all off limits. Even if someone brings them up. Like a bunch of asshole friends, we are shitty to each other, but respectful of family.
- Off topic posts: are welcome! Football is the common thread that brings us here together, but it's not the only common interest. When you go to a game with friends they aren't going to kick you out of the seat if you bring up baseball or the latest movies. Multiple message boards never works. Maybe if we get big enough we'll open a ticket exchange board but that's as far as it'll go.
- Spamming: Is not tolerated. On topic or off. If you dominate the conversation with what is effectively the same post over and over again those posts may be deleted.
- No Pornography, violence, or gore. Say all the vile things you like, but keep photos work appropriate.
We want moderation to be as lax as possible. We want you to say what you want to say. Moreover, we want moderation to be fair and restricted.
- If a Moderator is a participant in a thread they can do NOTHING in that thread. Once they make themselves part of the conversation they are a poster like anybody else. No getting in fights with people and then locking the thread.
- There are no kings here. Only Doxxing can get you banned without a review by the entire moderation team. Pissing us off is not a good reason for having a post removed or a user banned.
A quick Site Tutorial
- Instant Messaging: Look at the bottom right of the forum window. You may see a Chat window. Click it to see who is online and send them an instant message. Feel free to try this out with me. If you wish not to be seen/available via instant messaging, click the window and select Go Offline"
- Chat Room: The board supports a chat room. I hope to host Gameday watch events in our chat room, where we can all respond to the nonsense that happens live.
Posting: Posting is fairly straight forward, but posts here may be a bit more flexible than you're used to.
- Polls: When you create a new post, you can make it a poll instead. When you create a new post look at the top, you'll see Topic Details and Poll. Enter a question with a number of options and a closing date.
- Formatting: When you create a post there's a menu bar above where you posted. Here you can change the color of your text, make it bold, italic, or underlined. You can also monkey with the alignment, create bulleted lists or numbered lists.
- Inserting Elements: The next few buttons allow you to insert links, images (Both from your own computer, or a link to an image), specific html tags, indicate quotes, even your own HTML.
- Uploading elements: You can also upload data. When you post, note the paperclip icon at the bottom of the screen. You can upload any file you like this way. The camera icon allows you to insert photographs as well.
- Copying from sources: Posts support rich HTML, which means that if you copy something from a website it should translate fairly well here, images and all.
- Editing/deleting posts: If you want to edit or delete a post you've made, Look in the upper right hand corner of your post (trace from your name to the right). There's a down arrow. Click it and you'll see options for sharing, editing, or deleting your post. Note that when you edit a post, it will be marked as edited. Note: It is considered good form to add a little note at the bottom of your message indicating what was edited.
Managing your profile: At the top right of the screen you should see a person icon. Click it to manage your profile. Here you can:
Feel free to ask any questions here.
- View all the posts you've created or liked. Select the Profile option to see your basic info and all the posts you've made.
- Set an Avatar and Signature. Select the Edit Profile option to create your avatar (the image used for you on the site) and create a signature that will be added to every thread you start. You can add private information here if you like, but I advise against it.
- Control how much email you receive. Select the Settings option. Here, under preferences you can control how much email you get for topics you created. You can also delete your account here.
Edit: Migrated tutorial here